This application is CLOSED.
The Jack Trice Character Award was created to honor the personal merits and attributes of Jack Trice as a student and a leader.
- Applicants will be considered and recipients chosen on the basis of their commitment to the ideals demonstrated by Jack Trice throughout his lifetime.
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must be an undergraduate student or an incoming freshman.
Four $1000 scholarships will be awarded for the 2017-2018 school year. Two awards will go to full-time undergraduate students and two will go to incoming freshmen. Note: Total award of $1,000 is divided between the two semesters. The recipient must be enrolled in both semesters to receive the full award.
How to apply:
On a separate document (that can be uploaded to the online application below), please answer the following questions as clearly and concisely as possible after reading the following passage:
Written October 5, 1923
My thoughts just before the first real college game of my life: The honors of my race, family, and self is at stake. Everyone is expecting me to do great things. I will. My whole body and soul are to be thrown recklessly about the field tomorrow. Every time the ball is snapped, I will be trying to do more than my part. Fight low, with your eyes open and toward the play. Watch out for crossbucks and reverse end runs. Be on your toes every minute if you expect to make good.
- After reading the above passage written by Jack Trice three days before his death, please elaborate upon one or more experiences of your own which you feel reveal your personal commitment to the ideals demonstrated by Jack Trice.
- What contributions have you made to the Iowa State and the Ames community (campus involvement, community work, athletic participation, etc.)?
(Note: If you are an incoming freshman we understand that you may have limited Iowa State University involvement. You are welcome to focus on areas that you feel are strong community engagement contributions.)