WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS FUND. PLEASE CHECK BACK IN THE FALL SEMESTER (2017).
The Senior Vice President and Provost and the Senior Vice President for Student Affairs have established a fund to help undergraduate students pay expenses incurred by attending regional, national, and international conferences. Eligible conferences must have a leadership, academic or diversity focus. Sports tournaments are not eligible under this program.
Students may apply for funding as individuals or on behalf of student organizations.
Maximum amounts awarded to individual applicants are $400.00 (for students making presentations) and $100.00 (for students attending but not making presentations). Generally, students attending conferences as a group (two or more students) will not be funded for more than $50.00 per student, and the maximum amount awarded for any single conference will not normally exceed a total of $750.00, no matter how many students attend. Owing to factors such as cost of attendance, availability of funds, and the number of applications received, the amounts awarded will vary, and you may not be awarded the full amount you request.
Please note the following:
- Eligible conferences must have a leadership, academic or diversity focus. Sports tournaments are not eligible under this program.
- Completed applications must be received no later than 7 calendar days before the start of the conference.
- Funding year runs from July 1 to June 30. Funding is available on a “first come” basis until funds are exhausted.
- A student or organization can receive funding once per fiscal year – July 1 through June 30. You must be enrolled at the time of the conference to be eligible for funding. Note: you may apply for funds for conferences during the summer even if you are not enrolled during the summer. You must however, be enrolled for the upcoming fall semester.
- Students attending the same conference should file one form and attach the names of all attending.
- Students funded must have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA and be currently enrolled undergraduates at the time of the conference. Students are eligible if they are not on academic or disciplinary probation and have no financial holds.
- The application form is to be completed by the student making the request or by a student representative designated by the group making the request, not by the faculty or staff member.
- Applicants are expected to pay a portion of their own costs.
- Students are expected to seek financial support from their departments, their college, the government of the Student Body, or other appropriate sources prior to applying for funding from the Provost/SVSPA.
- For all requests related to an academic discipline, the student’s or group’s department head must acknowledge support of the request, even if the department cannot provide funding. For individual requests, the project adviser must sign; for group requests, the organization’s adviser must sign.
- The awards are REIMBURSEMENTS made after the conference, and the reimbursement process requires RECEIPTS. If you have questions about the nature of receipts you will need to obtain, please inquire as soon as the question arises.
- Submit receipts to Penni Bryant in the Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost, 1550 Beardshear Hall, within 30 days of returning from the conference.
- Application process: Kathleen Harrison, email@example.com, 515-294-0322
- Reimbursement & receipts: Penni Bryant, firstname.lastname@example.org, 515-294-7184