The Senior Vice President and Provost and the Senior Vice President for Student Affairs have established a fund to help undergraduate students pay expenses incurred by attending regional, national, and international conferences.
Students may apply for funding as individuals or on behalf of student organizations.
Maximum amounts awarded to individual applicants are $400.00 (for students making presentations) and $100.00 (for students attending but not making presentations). Generally, students attending conferences as a group (two or more students) will not be funded for more than $50.00 per student, and the maximum amount awarded for any single conference will not normally exceed a total of $750.00, no matter how many students attend. Owing to factors such as cost of attendance, availability of funds, and the number of applications received, the amounts awarded will vary, and you may not be awarded the full amount you request.
- Eligible conferences must have a leadership, academic or diversity focus. Sports tournaments are not eligible under this program.
- Applications must be received no later than 14 calendar days before the start of the conference.
- Funding year runs from July 1 to June 30. Funding is available on a “first come” basis.
- A student or organization can receive funding once per fiscal year – July 1 through June 30. You must be enrolled at the time of the conference to be eligible for funding. Note: you may apply for funds for conferences during the summer even if you are not enrolled during the summer. You must however, be enrolled for the upcoming fall semester.
- Students attending the same conference can file one form and attach the names of all attending.
- Students funded must have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA. Students are eligible if they are not on academic or disciplinary probation and have no financial holds.
- The application form is to be completed by the student making the request or by a student representative designated by the group making the request, not by a faculty or staff member.
- Applicants may be expected to pay a portion of their own costs.
- Students are encouraged to seek financial support from their departments, their college, the Government of the Student Body, or other appropriate sources prior to applying for funding from the Provost/VPSA.
- For all requests related to an academic discipline, the student’s or group’s department head or adviser must acknowledge support of the request, even if the department cannot provide funding. This information is requested on the form and will be contacted by the fund reviewers.
- The awards are REIMBURSEMENTS made after the conference, and the reimbursement process requires RECEIPTS. Students are eligible for meals on per diem, according to Iowa State's per diem rates. Meals do not require receipts, but you may not get the full per diem if it exceeds the award amount. If you have questions about the nature of receipts you will need to obtain, please inquire as soon as the question arises.
- Receipts must be submitted to Lori Sutton (firstname.lastname@example.org) within six weeks after the conference or you may forfeit your award. Summer conference receipts must be submitted by June 30.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic which has limited travel, funding may be used for virtual conferences; however, this opportunity may not continue as travel restrictions are eased.
Questions can be directed to:
Application process: email@example.com or 515-294-4420
Reimbursements and receipts: Lori Sutton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-294-7184