The Senior Vice President and Provost and the Senior Vice President for Student Affairs have established a fund to help undergraduate students pay expenses incurred by attending regional, national, and international conferences. Conference funding may be used for virtual or in-person conference.
Students may apply for funding as individuals or on behalf of student organizations.
Maximum amounts awarded to individual applicants are $550. Generally, students attending conferences as a group (two or more students) will not be funded for more than $100 per student, and the maximum amount awarded for any single conference will not normally exceed a total of $800, no matter how many students attend. Owing to factors such as cost of attendance, availability of funds, and the number of applications received, the amounts awarded will vary, and you may not be awarded the full amount you request.
- Eligible conferences must have a leadership, academic or diversity focus. Sports tournaments are not eligible under this program.
- Applications must be received no later than 14 calendar days before the start of the conference.
- Funding year runs from July 1 to June 30. Funding is available on a “first come” basis.
- A student or organization can receive funding once per fiscal year – July 1 through June 30.
- The applicant must be enrolled at the time of the conference to be eligible for funding. Students may apply for funds for conferences which take place during the summer even if they are not enrolled, given that they are enrolled for the semester immediately following.
- Examples: A student applies for funding for a summer conference, but are not enrolled for summer courses. However they are enrolled for the fall semester so their application can be considered.
- Example: A student applies for funding for summer conference after they graduate from Iowa State. Since they are not enrolled for the fall, the application will not be considered.
- Students attending the same conference can file one form and attach the names of all attending.
- Students funded must have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA and in good standing with the university.
- The application form is to be completed by the student making the request or by a student representative designated by the group making the request, not by a faculty or staff member.
- Applicants are expected to pay a portion of their own costs. Students are encouraged to seek additional financial support from their academic departments, their college, Student Government, or other appropriate sources.
- The awards may be received as a reimbursement or paid upfront, or a combination of the two. For example, funds may cover registration for a conference and reimbursements for meals after the conference occurs.
- Allowable expenses eligible for reimbursement: https://www.controller.iastate.edu/travelinformation/allowableexpenses.htm
- Expenses not eligible for reimbursements: https://www.controller.iastate.edu/travelinformation/unallowableexpenses.htm
- The reimbursement process requires RECEIPTS. Students are eligible for meals on per diem, according to Iowa State's per diem rates. Meals do not require receipts, but you may not get the full per diem if it exceeds the award amount. If you have questions about the nature of receipts you will need to obtain, please inquire as soon as the question arises.
- Receipts must be submitted to Rachel Boenigk (firstname.lastname@example.org) within six weeks after the conference or applicants may forfeit your award. Summer conference receipts must be submitted by June 30.
Questions can be directed to: email@example.com or 515-294-4420